Theory of Writing

Aboubakr Abdulsamed

Professor Skelly 

English 110

December 20th, 2019

Writing is a necessary job skill. Writing is the main basis upon which one’s work, creativity, learning, and intelligence will be judged. It will be judged in college, workplace and in the community. Writing helps us with communication and thinking skills. It encourages our ability to explain and refine our ideas to others and ourselves, the audience. It is important to understand how to write and the different characteristic of writing to develop social skills and express yourself.

Literary writing is creating new creative work, such as poems or novels, and compilations or volumes of creative work. Writing is not one of my strengths, matter facts it’s my weakness. I write letters, emails, text messages and papers for my classes. Mostly I write in word docs ( Times New Roman, 12 font double spaced), and I do it mostly during the day, where my mind still filled with ideas. When I write I need something next to me. For example, I like writing while drinking coffee or eating food because sometimes it gives me some random ideas that works with my writing. Volume control is very essential for me: My best works of writing are in a quiet places. Quiet places make it easier for you to hear your inner thoughts. I enjoy the quiet and calm places where I can just sit and relax and write. One of the most important benefits of being in a quiet room is that it helps me to become calmer and improve my writing skill.

It’s 9 pm on december 17, 2019 and I am writing an essay about Theory of Writing. I am very exhausted due to the fact that I had my last final exam today. I have a can of red bull right beside me and I am taking a sip while writing this essay. Okay, less talking and more writing. What is the “Theory of writing”. The “Theory of Writing” the strategies that we’ve to follow or we like to follow for a better writing. There are some strategies that are almost common in everyone’s penning.  This includes planning, decision making, drafting, , audience strategies, brainstorming, researching, revising, etc.

Coming to this class, I saw writing as something school related and I might not use it my whole life. I do not like writing at all, but after this semester, I realize how writing is important in our lifetime. Writing is a skill that many people, including myself,  use in almost everything we deal in our daily activities. English 110, helped me to understand writing in general, especially the uses of rhetorical terms. This was my first time learning about rhetorical terms and how to apply it in my writing. My first essay, the Source Based Essay, was challenging to me. I did not understand the instruction that was given to me. This was my first time using rhetorical terms in an essay. It was difficult for me. As the semester continued, I was getting to understand how to apply rhetorical terms in my essay. It starts to make me thinking about different aspects such as who’s the audience, and what stance are you making. Things like this are important because it will make your writing flowing properly as well as successfully delivering a message or purpose. 

This semester really helped me to apply rhetorical terms in my essay. It made my writing flowing properly as well as successfully delivering a purpose. My writing has improved a lot since my freshman year of highschool. I remember back in 9th grade, Ms. Gillmore, my english teacher assigned us to write a letter to a character in the book called “Catcher in the Rye”. In the first paragraph I go on how holden, the main character in the book, is not admirable and I followed that with some evidence from the book.

Therefore based on my reading Holden I disagree with you that you are admirable . I think you are not admirable for many reason . You are not admirable because you flunk all of your classes. You should pass all of your classes so you can be a nice guy and so you can make your parents proud because they pay a lot of money for your school . So far you already got expelled from 3 schools and your parents lost a lot of money . You not admirable because you  drink and smoke and scientifically drink and smoke are bad for your health especially for young people like you . You should not break all of your garage window when your brother Allie died . You have an anger issue . I disagree that you are admirable because you think that other people are phony but you are the biggest phony in your family. For example you told mrs.Morrow that her son was popular, shy and almost class president which her son is the opposite of his personality and you gave her different name not your real name . You are a phony because you lied to mr.Spencer that you are going to the gym but you are not going to the gym and when you want to get a girl in the middle of the night . When you create a life about yourself that is not realistic you are making yourself just as phony as the people that you complained about . 

I made my point and provided enough evidence, which made it a good essay according to the prompt, however, it could’ve been better. Then again, I did write this in the 9th grade and writing is not my strongest skill.

For an essay I wrote in the 12th grade, my writing has improved a lot. It was an expository essay for my science research class. It was about how medical advances improve our lifespan. In the introduction paragraph and the second paragraph I evaluated the importance of medical advances and how they play an important role in our lifespan.

These advancements play a major role in our lives. All different age of people gets affected by disease one way or another. The importance that medical and technological advances have is that not only does this help solve some of society’s problem, but it makes things more efficient. For example, children are always getting sick during winter time and they have to go to the doctors’ for medicine so that they can get better. Similarly this applies to old people who gets diagnosed with a serious disease and needs advanced medical technologies to cure it. Medical advancements will help make people live longer lives life than before and will provide better treatment for all kinds of diseases.

Medical technological advances have had an impact on our lives. There are treatments for all different diseases. Diseases that had no treatment before haves treatments now so that patients can get cured easily and quickly. The medical field has advanced a lot because of the medical technological advancements. Several technological advancements have been made throughout the years. An astonishing technological advance is robots doing surgeries. It is very surprising because it’s the doctors who has been surgeries and different types of operations. Robots has been very successful in the medical field. Robots performing surgeries has proven to be safe. Also the surgeons see advantages to perform procedures with robots. 

Coming to English 110 I was stressed and scared. English and writing in general are my weakest skills since english is my second language. I wished I never took any english class, but my major requires to take english classes. Now I figure out writing is one of the important necessary for living. It helps the author to communicate with the audience and share ideas. In this class my theory changed for all the assignments. I was telling myself drafts and peer review was not going to help improve my writing but I was wrong. I did different research methods for all the assignment. I found out that doing a first draft and peer review will improve my writing. People have events that impacted their writing. My best piece of writing was my college essay. It was based on a true heartbreaking story. It was about me literally living through war. I worked on this essay for a couple of months. I had my english teacher revise it and a couple of my friends to edit and revise it. It was one of my best writing essay.